MADEIRA CAKE RECIPE
Posted May 3, 2016on:
I’m blogging this one, because it’s the most beautifully simple cake recipe. Only a few ingredients, and no faffing about.
150g unsalted butter
150g caster sugar
3 eggs, lightly beaten
225g self-raising flour, sifted
Juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 180degsC/350degsF/Gas 4. Grease and line one cake-tin.
- Put butter and sugar into a bowl, beat with an electric mixer or wooden spoon until creamy.
- Add the eggs a little at a time, beating all the while. Also add a spoonful of the flour.
- Stir in the lemon juice, and then gently fold in the rest of the flour with a metal spoon. Pour the mixture into the cake in. You may want to cover the tin with aluminium foil to stop the top of the cake burning.
- The original recipe for this said to bake for 1 to 1-and-a-half hours, but I found that mine was well-cooked after an hour. It depends on your oven. Do the skewer test, if it comes out clean then it’s done.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin for about 20 minutes, and then turn out onto a plate.