VICTORIA SPONGE CAKE RECIPE
Posted March 27, 2014on:
- In: Uncategorized
- Comments Off on VICTORIA SPONGE CAKE RECIPE
I love making Victoria sponges, they’re so simple and so delicious. One recipe I’d been using for years, and it was great, but have recently found this one which is even simpler.
175g self-raising flour
175g softened butter
175g caster sugar
raspberry or strawberry jam*
1 pint double cream
icing sugar to dust
1. preheat oven to 180degsC/350degsF/gas4
2. grease two deep cake tins and line with baking paper
3. put the flour, butter, sugar and eggs into a bowl and whisk with a hand-held whisk until all is blended nicely.
4. divide the mixture into the two tins. If you have a fast oven you might want to cover the tops with aluminium foil to stop the mixture getting burnt. It might be an idea also to take off the aluminium hats a couple of minutes before the end so that the sponges can turn a bit golden.
5. bake in oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the skewer comes out clean.
6. leave to cool. Whip up the double cream until it’s nice and thick, then spread onto one of the cooled sponge halves. Top with jam. Put on second sponge half, and dust with icing sugar.
* I’ve been making this for years, and only recently found out that some people can get incredibly het-up and insist it’s only a Victoria sponge if you’re using raspberry jam. Folks, it doesn’t matter. Really.